We tested fitted the engine into the roadster and installed the Sanderson headers.. It’s really starting to look like a street rod now. We have an old ’69 Z/28 manifold on the engine for the break-in.. Once that’s over, we will drop in the XFI system. Which will be the icing on the cake.
During the pass weekend, we assembled the lower block and bolted on the new AFR heads (AFR 195cc SBC Eliminator Street Cylinder Head). Great looking heads, but I could do without the logo on the front and back of the heads.. I would prefer a logo free version! hopefully, the a few mounting brackets will cover them up.. If not, I was thinking of milling off the logo. This engine compartment needs to be clean, not going to deal with this too well. If I knew the logos where that big, I don’t think I would have purchased the heads. I may have stuck with just some GM alum heads. Too many companies are more interested in branding their products then the quality of their products. Don’t get me wrong, AFR makes a great set of heads, that’s why I wanted them.. But milling off the logo is going to set me back a few hundred and the reassembly as well. . .Maybe I should reach out to AFR and see if they offer a logo free version. Let’s see if they even care. More to come on the issue!
My buddy wants to fire the engine with a carb instead of the fuel injection system, just for the 20 minute breakin period.. I’ll agree with him, we don’t need all the headaches of getting the FI system running while we are trying to fire up a fresh build. So I dug out my old 69 z/28 manifold and cleaned it up.. We’ll be using that with a Holley 650 to break-in the engine for the 32 ford.
My Sanderson headers will be arriving Thursday, this week, so we should be able to button up the engine this weekend and drop the engine into the 32 roadster chassis this weekend. Then have to get a few more things to add onto the engine, i.e., water pump, alternator, etc.. then we should be ready to fire this engine up..
Five really cool updates have occurred on the build in the pass two weeks.. First one, is that I got primer on the Brookville Grill shell, I just had too, each time someone touched that bare metal, finger print rust would show and I would have to 600 grit the flash rust off. So, I asked my buddy to spray on some DP-90 to keep the rust issues under control.
Second update, finally got the engine back from the machine shop. The engine is a 350 bored .60 over and everything checked out just right.. Once we got the engine back home, we immediately test fitted the engine by dropping it into the engine bay and bolted it to the engine mounts.. Everything dropped in just right, so we pulled it back out and wrapped it back up.. We will begin the assembly of the engine this week, so I now need to figure out what type of oil pan I’ll be putting under this roadster.
Third update, I picked up a 700R4 transmission for the 32 roadster. the transmission came with a 2000 stall converter. That converter is a little low for the engine I’m dropping in, but I’ll deal with that at a later point.
Fourth update, I picked up the shifter for the 700R4. It’s a Lokar shifter with a 12″ arm..
Fifth update, I ordered the Thermal Ceramic Coated Sanderson headers with the power caps on the ends.. Really nice group of guys over there, very knowledgeable on the product and what’s necessary to get the items to fit correctly. The headers are getting the ceramic coating right now, so it will take a week or so to get them.. I can’t wait until these headers arrive.. The engine should be done by then so I’ll be able to drop the engine in and bolt up the tranny and headers for a final test fit.
Then with everything in the engine compartment, I can start the running of the fuel and brake lines for the roadster.. I’ll first pull the body and get my buddy to start working on installing the windshield, while he is getting the itch, I’ll be pluming in the lines.
Now that I’ve started getting in some of the main 32 roadster parts in, I can start some pre-assembly of the 32 roadster. Keyword is “some”, still working out the details on the engine, but I am going with a 383 stroker.. The machine shop is checking out the block and will advise in a day or so, what parts I’ll need for it.. I would really like to have the block installed in the car before working out all the details with the steering, etc. But, until then, I’ll start working out the plumbing of the brake and fuel lines, that should keep me business for awhile.
32 Ford Roadster Fuel System: As for the fuel line and fuel system, I did order and received the Fuel kit from Inglese™, I’ll upload a photo of that shortly as well. This kit seems pretty straight forward, but building a roadster, you just never know.
32 Ford Roadster Tires: As for the tires for the 32 roadster, looks like I’m going to get Goodyear 195/R60/15 for the front and 275/R60/17 for the rear.. Then pop those Goodyears on 15×6 American Racing Torque Thrust for the front and 17×9.5 on the rear. I’m going to have to custom order those rims because of the backspacing, I don’t know yet who to order those rims from, everyone is about the same price on them, except a few guys offer free shipping.. I’ll figure that out in a few days.
32 Ford Headers: As for headers, I’m looking at the Sanderson Jayster Lakes Style Header for Small Block Chevy. Just to add a little more old school hot rod style to the roadster. There’s a few other ones out there, so I’m still looking around. Finally decision hasn’t been made on this yet.
More to come over the next few days, so check back shortly..